Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Moving into a New Community

In November my husband and I moved to a new town. Honestly, this is the first time in my entire life I have relocated to an area where I am brand new. I have spent the past three months looking for my new favorite pizza place, finding a nail and hair salon, trying new restaurants, and getting to know and understand the lay of the land.
Last night I attended my first Community Education class. It was an exercise class, and I went all by myself. I felt alone walking into an unfamiliar place jam packed with ladies in their twenties to their sixties, but was soon talking to some ladies (they were quite a bit older than me, but still took the time to welcome me!) The exercise class was fun, and I laughed with my new acquaintances. When I walked out of the class I felt really good about myself. It takes courage to try new things, especially on your own.
As a teacher I encourage my students to take risks. I am excited to share this story with my students, and hope it will help them take more academic risks in the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. It's difficult to walk into "new experiences", but it is definitely how one grows. Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete