The Wait is Over!

I am the type of person that can't put a book down once I begin it, that enjoys watching a television series on DVD so I can find out what happens without waiting week to week, but every so often I can't help but have to wait for the next book or television show. And, tonight's the night for LOST.
I began watching LOST halway through season 1, jumped onboard, and have never looked back. I listen to podcasts, rewatch episodes to prepare for the next week, and discuss my predictions and theories with my friends. LOST is a great story that never ceases to amaze me.
Even though I don't like waiting to see the conclusion of LOST I am proud of myself for sticking with a television show and watching the traditional way. When I taught middle school I looked forward to my Thursday conversations with several students who were also fans of LOST.
I believe an effective reading workshop can provoke the same feeling of excitement in the classroom. When students are engaged in a good book they are eager to share it with a friend, or his/her reading response journal. Last year, one of my students read "Twilight" and journaled to me throughout the story. I recently finished Twilight and pulled her journal to read her comments about the story...her last entry about the book described how she felt when she finished, and how excited she was to purchase "New Moon" at the book fair. Even our most reluctant readers can't control the urge to wait sometimes.

Comments

  1. Love the connection that you made between watching a serial TV show and reading. Taking time to choose engaging texts and learn individual students' interests go a long way in helping them "get there". Rita K.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Be Flexible

Pizza Hut

A snowy night and great time to Follow the Yellow Brick Roads